What’s good about it?
Carrots contain vitamin A precursors (Beta carotene) that help promote vision and support a healthy immune system. I love adding a hint of ginger and a little turmeric to enhance anti-inflammatory and immune boosting properties.
- 1 leek, washed and finely sliced
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated turmeric or ½ teaspoon dry turmeric
- 600g (21oz) carrot, thinly sliced
- 300ml (10 1/2floz) almond milk or extra vegetable stock
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 onion or 2 shallots, chopped finely
- Pinch of sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Combine stock, leek, celery, carrot, almond milk, ginger, tumeric and shallot into a saucepan
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and cool slightly.
- Blend in a blender on a high speed for 15-20 seconds.
- Pour the soup back into the saucepan to reheat and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Serve with fresh garden herbs or a little coriander pesto.
Serving size: 2 generous bowls
Notes: Boost the protein content by adding blended white Cannellini beans or lightly sautéed Shiitake mushrooms for extra immune system benefits.